Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Pursuit of Happyness

Will Smith plays Chris Gardner in this telling of a true, rags-to-riches story.

Chris Gardner sells (or more correctly, tries to sell) bone density scanners and is stuck with rent, taxes and a stack of parking tickets. His wife leaves him and Gardner takes custody of his son. Chris perseveres, trying anything to achieve happiness in life - teaching a few life lessons in the process.

Will Smith's acting was nothing short of brilliant, for me. There were times I caught myself rooting for him - which made me realize just why he got his Oscar nomination (Best Actor in a Leading Role) for this role. Strangely enough, by the same token, Thandie Newton's performance (I found myself actually hating her character) should be worth an award of some sort (and I'm not referring snidely to the Razzies!)

As much as the movie has motivational value, it's indeed ironic that the pre-success Gardners of today (the ones most needing its message) probably couldn't afford to watch the movie. Nonetheless, inspirational stuff - well worth watching.

Year of Release: 2006
IMDB Rating: 7.4/10 (11,666 votes, as at the time of posting)

No comments: